In this episode of The Legal Jim, we will be reviewing how to properly (and legally) build a brand that not only can you be proud of, but one that you can (and will) legally protect for years to come.
There are three main mistakes that I see entrepreneurs make all the time:
- They pick a name that they are unable to legally protect
- They pick a name that infringes (accidentally) on the name of another business
- They fail to take the steps necessary to legally protect their name.
In today's episode we are going to dive deep into each of these mistakes and discuss what you can do to make sure you don't make these same mistakes.
You don't want to miss this one!
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | Overcast
Some of the resources mentioned are affiliate links, which means that if you purchase through this link, we will receive a small commission, but it won't cost you any extra money. This is a great way to support what we are doing here at Hawthorn Law. Thank you!
If you are interested in learning more about building and online brand and making sure it is legally protected, click here to schedule a strategy call and get started today.
To get on the waiting list for our new legal training, click here.
The Biggest Takeaways
- When you are picking your brand name, you want to pick a name that is suggestive of what you sell, but not too descriptive of what you are selling. Suggestive names can be protected, descriptive names can't.
- Before you use ANY name, you must do a proper and comprehensive search to insure that the name you have chosen is not infringing on any other businesses. Failure to follow this one simple step can lead to disastrous (and expensive) consequences.
- After you have “cleared” your name, it is important that you act quickly to secure your legal rights. A search report is a snapshot in time, and each day that passes where you don't act to protect you legal rights is another day where a competitor can swoop in and steal your business name!
Don't Forget to Subscribe!
Would you like to work with Jim on a deeper level?
Click here to schedule a strategy call and learn how we can help you to protect your online brand.
If you are an aspiring entrepreneur ready to join our membership now, click here.
If you need some legal templates for your online business, click here.
If you are looking for a lawyer to help you with the legal aspects of your online business, click here.
The content of this podcast episode is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice. You should not rely upon any information contained on this podcast episode for legal advice. Listening to The Legal Jim Podcast is not intended to and shall not create an attorney-client relationship between you and James W. Hart or The Hart Law Firm, P.A. d/b/a Hawthorn Law. Messages or other forms of communication that you transmit to this website will not create an attorney-client relationship and thus information contained in such communications may not be protected as privileged. Neither James W. Hart nor The Hart Law Firm, P.A. makes any representation, warranty, or guarantee about the accuracy of the information contained in this podcast episode or in links to other podcasts, resources or websites. This podcast is provided “as is,” does not represent that any particular outcome will result from listening to this episode. Your use listening to this podcast is at your own risk. You enjoy this podcast episode and its contents only for personal, non-commercial purposes. Neither James W. Hart, The Hart Law Firm, P.A., nor anyone acting on their behalf, will be liable under any circumstances for damages of any kind.