You asked for and and here it is. The ultimate of business building legal checklists. If you are even thinking about starting your own business, whether offline or online, on Amazon or Shopify, with a blog or offering professional services, then this is the checklist you need right now.
Wondering what kind of business to start?
Need to know how to name your business?
Got you covered.
16 things you need to do when forming your corporate structure?
Yep, we got that too.
As well as much, much more.
Here you go… if you think you can handle it. But stay tuned, this is just the beginning. Over the next several weeks we will release even more business building goodness, including:
- What's in a name? How to properly name your business (it's a lot harder than you would think).
- Getting down to business. How to pick the right corporate structure, and what you absolutely, positively, have to have if you are bringing on a partner.
- Licenses and trademarks and copyrights… oh my!
- Four documents you MUST have on your website, and other internet best practices.
- A checklist for all the contracts you will need in your business.
- Important pointers for how to run and build a successful business.
Ok, so here's part 1 – preliminary matters.
Get this stuff done NOW, while you are still in the beginning states of starting your own business, so that you can relax (well, try to) and focus your attention on building your business and creating more value for your clients and customers as you grow
Don’t get overwhelmed. Breathe a second. I know this is a huge legal checklist. (I couldn’t call it the “Ultimate” Business Building Legal Checklist if it was only a single page, could I?). I recommend you work through one section at a time. And if you ever have questions, or would like some assistance with anything referenced in this document, just feel free to contact us and we can set you up with a free strategy session with an attorney.
First things First (i.e. Preliminary Matters)
The first thing you need to do, before you even start talking about legal entities or building a website, is to decide what your business is all about.
- Take an afternoon, find a whiteboard, and brainstorm some ideas. Get creative with the process. Settle on several product ideas. What do you enjoy? What are you good at? What services would you like to provide?
- Make a decision about what you intend to sell online.
- Make sure there is a starving audience that is prepared to buy what you have to sell. There are whole courses dedicated to finding this audience. If you don’t already have a legitimate business idea, you should find an expert or course to invest in. It will be money well spent.
Later this week we'll be talking about how to properly name your brand. Don't want to wait?
Click here to download the complete and ultimate business building legal checklist.